**Note: This was one of the first posts on Craft Buds. I’ve updated it and re-posted in time for Valentine’s season since we only had a few followers when it was first posted!**
My sister visited this weekend and we decided to make her a shirt for Valentine’s Day based on the LOVE statue in Philadelphia. It was a fast and easy project with some homemade applique letters and a little stitching.
- To make the letters, iron Wonder-Under paper backed fusible web or something similar to the back of your fabric (we used Pellon 725 Heavy-Duty Wonder-Under Transfer Web).
- Trace the letters backwards onto Wonder-Under on the back of the fabric using a stencil of the letters. You can download the PDF of the letters for personal use here. If you have problems printing directly from Google docs, click the “Download original” button in the upper right corner of the PDF screen. Once the file is downloaded you should be able to open and print it.
- Cut out each letter, peel off the Wonder-Under backing and position the letters onto the shirt.
- Iron down the letters following the instructions on the Wonder-Under or the product you are using.
- Finish the shirt by doing a zig zag or similar stitch around each letter and project complete! You could skip doing the stitching but the shirt may not last as long because the letters could eventually peel off.
We found the plain long-sleeved gray shirt at Target in the men’s section. They had a variety of colors and they had a few in the boys section if you need a smaller size. Here’s a close up of the letters. We chose a navy quilting cotton for the L, V, and E. For the O we used a fabric with tiny forks, spoons and knives since my sister is well known for her fabulous baking creations. You can personalize with fabrics that coordinate with something you love, or go with a more traditional Valentine’s red/pink look. This would be a cute shirt for an adult or a child!
Are you looking to start your own craft blog? Maybe you're ready to upgrade to a self-hosted Wordpress blog. After trying other hosting companies, Craft Buds proudly uses Bluehost
(affiliate link) for all of our hosting needs. It's super reliable, a great value (just a few dollars a month!) and easy to install Wordpress with one click. Get started
in just 5 minutes or less!