Some people craft for their business, and others just create for fun. Jessica Kenenske has paired both her love for crafts and running a business with a mission: to help raise money for those in need. Read on for a great and inspiring story! (There’s also a giveaway at the end of this post.)
1) Tell me a little bit about your handmade shop and how/when you got started?
I’ve been selling my handmade stuff for probably about 6 years now. I started out creating and selling handmade dolls, softies, pillows & etc., using all vintage materials. I did that for a while and even had a couple segments on HGTV that aired about a year ago.
In 2008, I had my first (long awaited) child and then 22 months later I got pregnant with my second, so I was a little pre-occupied for a few years there! When I finally started getting back into crafting again I wasn’t that interested in making dolls anymore and found myself designing and making handbags….over an over again. I never get tired of them because, well, because I’m a girl and the possibilities are endless with bags!
It allows me the creative outlet to do something I love and to raise money for a mission that is close to my heart.
2) What is the overall purpose or vision behind your shop?
I have found that I am WAY more productive and inspired to keep creating product to sell when I know it can help someone in need. It feels much more purposeful.
3) Do you have any advice for someone who is looking to raise money for a charitable organization through their craft or handmade store?
The only advice I have at this point (I’m pretty new at this) for someone interested in crafting for a cause is, please just do it. There are so many people in need in this world. What we spend a week for coffee could save someone’s life, so even if you sold one thing, that could change someone’s world. It seems like a selfless act, but really, it will totally bless you too.
Thanks Jessica, for sharing your story!
Craft Buds is so impressed with Jessica’s mission and quality handcrafted bags that we are giving away this adorable bag from her shop to one lucky reader!
1. Visit A Winding Road on Etsy. Leave a comment telling us your favorite bag! (1 entry)
2. For a bonus entry, follow Jessica’s blog and leave another comment. (1 entry)
3. If you make a purchase from Jessica’s shop, come back here and leave 2 comments! (2 bonus entries, and a huge warm/fuzzy feeling)
That’s 4 possible entries! This giveaway closes on Friday, July 15 at 11:59pm (EST). Giveaway open worldwide; one winner will be chosen via Random.org.